Statement from AUL Action President Dr. Charmaine Yoest on President Obama’s health care proposal

February 22, 2010

Statement from Americans United for Life Action President and CEO Dr. Charmaine Yoest on President Obama’s health care proposal:

“The President promised the American people that ‘no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions, and federal conscience laws will remain in place.’ Incredibly, his health care proposal doesn’t contain a single mention of the Life issue. As I made clear to the White House in a meeting last fall, unless they include specific legislative language banning the use of federal funds for abortion, they will be establishing taxpayer funding for abortion. Today was the President’s opportunity to keep his word.”

Background on AUL Action’s White House meeting:

• Letter to White House: AUL Action’s Letter to President Obama (07/21/09)
• Politico: Abortion Roils Intense Health Care Debate (07/21/09)
• FOX News: AULA’s Dr. Yoest discusses her White House meeting with Megyn Kelly (Watch Now) (09/18/09)
• CBN: David Brody: Pro-Life Group “Discouraged” After White House Health Care Abortion Meeting (09/17/09)

About Americans United for Life Action

Americans United for Life Action (AUL Action) is the legislative arm of Americans United for Life, the first national pro-life organization in the nation.

Media Contact:
202-289-1478
press@aul.org
##

Julie February 22, 2010 at 2:20 pm

As long as the President doesn’t use taxpayer money for abortions either! From my understanding in reading up on this subject, it wont be funded federally but by the taxpayers. I refuse to pay for anyone to have an abortion. I think if someone was raped then abortion is necessary, otherwise, if you slept in the bed you deal with it!

Steve February 22, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Julie,

So it’s necessary for us to brutally murder children because they were conceived in rape? Shame on you! In fact, many mothers who abort children conceived in rape report that the experience was like being raped again–if not worse.

Women who have been assaulted, abused or raped need our love and support–not someone to kill their child.

Steve

Linda February 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I agree with Steve. The abortion only increases the pain of the rape.

I also don’t agree with the “health of the mother” issue, as most of the time they use it indiscriminately and the mother’s life isn’t in danger. Plus, no greater love than one who lays down his life for another. Yes, it’s a hard saying, but I didn’t make that one up.

We do NOT want to pay for ANY abortions. Period.

Kathy February 22, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Julie and anyone else on the rape issue. Women don’t have to have an abortion even in the case of rape – so it is not necessary even in that case. I do sympathize with women in that instance – it is more of a crisis pregnancy than other crisis pregnancies. Women are traumatized by their abortion experiences – many for the rest of their lives. I have personally known women who were raped and became pregnant as a result. Two had their babies, one aborted. Both were glad they had the baby although one regrets she kept him, as opposed to putting him up for adoption as she felt they both would have had a better life if she had.

What I don’t understand is that if there is so much concern over the cost of this health care bill, why would we fund abortions with the money? If someone really really feels they need to have the abortion, they need to pay for it. Not us!

Carol Eason February 23, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Mr. President, keep your promise. I do not believe in abortion nor do I want to fund it.

Robert Augeri February 23, 2010 at 1:43 pm

First of all I am against abortion. Second I am against a health care billl which will make our national debt larger. If a women is raped I can understand an abortion. Obama which I will not call my President because he does not have my values as a American qnd a christian person. Money for abortion should not be funded by taxpayer money . If they want an obortion they should foot the bill themselves and not through an insurance company to raise rates. As a christian this is my belief and I am sure many other religions are against abortion.

Barbara S. February 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I was born in 1946 to an unwed teenage mother who made the decision to give me up. I had a wonderful life with my “real” parents who gave me everything and the most love a child could have. Abortion should not be paid for by my tax dollars!
The rape victim is a victim. The child should not be!

Wendy Hilton February 23, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Tax dollars should NOT be spent to fund abortion.

Loraine Palmer February 24, 2010 at 8:48 am

Aborion should not be part of Healthcare.

Joelle Boope' February 24, 2010 at 9:10 am

I had an abortion. In those days it was not known I was killing my baby. I kept hearing that it was just tissue being released. If I would have known the after effects emotionally and spirituall I would never have done it. It hurts physically, spiritually and emotionally. I love children and I’m a grandmother. It took many years to even remember what I did. I pushed that so far back in my mind. After years of counseling, I finally forgive myself. I know God forgave me a long time ago. I can only tell you that a woman will know, deep down, what happened and it will gnaw at her heart. Does this government (run by men) want this to happen to your daughters, wives, mothers or sisters? Let me tell you, there has been created (for need) of a special group to psychologically help with women, who in the past, have had abortions. Not only have I deprived my children of a sibling, this child could have grown up to be one of the most important people to help fight diseases, been a leader in our government, our churches, etc. Please let it be known, it is not a form of birth control and it should not be considered a health issue. WAKE UP, AMERICA! Get close to your children and each other. Know what’s on their hearts and what’s going to in their world to help them when they have a question. Don’t put fear in your children that they cannot talk to you. Educate these people as they grow up, both boys and girls. Get off your cellphones and meet your children! Look them in the eye and let them know you love them even when they make a mistake. Tell them what sex if for. If you don’t know let met tell you, its for creating a baby, read the bible.

Gertrude Holmstadt February 25, 2010 at 12:16 am

What good is destroying our future citizens, and emptying our schools through abortion, all brought on by a Government bent on destroying its citizens instead of their duty to protect them! Government listen to your people!