Submit a video of your personal story in support of Tebow’s ad

February 1, 2010

tebo5
Last week, Americans United for Life Action (AULA) and LifeNews.com launched a Facebook page in support of Focus on the Family’s pro-life Super Bowl ad featuring Tim Tebow. The number of supporters on that page has grown rapidly since then. It has now eclipsed the 100,000 mark.

Media coverage has included a mention on social media news site Mashable. Bruce Horovitz of USA Today tweeted about the Facebook fan page.

Mark Tapscott also mentioned it in his Beltway Confidential blog at Examiner.com:

This is the same group that did the innovative Virtual March for Life this week. As of this afternoon, more than 83,000 people have signed up there, created an avatar for themself [sic], and joined the march. Could this be the first instance of new technological protest wave?

Another part of the Facebook page is a video submission contest announced by AULA communications director Matthew Faraci. The below video provides details:

We are asking everyone interested to submit their video story to the Facebook page. The video can be your own story about the impact of someone (you, a relative, or a friend) choosing life has had on you.

The video should be no more than 2-3 minutes long. The best videos will be featured here on the blog, on the Facebook page, and possibly other places online. If you’d rather post your video to YouTube, Vimeo or another site, please leave a link to it in the comments below on this blog post so we can find it (posting a link on the Facebook page would be good too but due to the high traffic of comments there, we can only guarantee we will see it if it is posted to the comments on this blog post.)

The simplest way you can make a video and submit it to us is if you have a webcam connected to your computer. Just go to the top of the Facebook page and look at the box where you enter comments. Click on the small video icon at the bottom left of that box and then click on “Record a Video.” If you have a video you previously recorded on your personal camera (a Flip for instance) or on a webcam, just click on “Upload a Video.”

ABOUT AUL ACTION

Americans United for Life (AUL Action) is the legislative action arm of Americans United for Life, the first national pro-life organization in the nation.

Debbie February 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I don’t have a webcam but I can relate to this story because the situation is nearly identical to what I went through 17 years ago.
I had been on medication for about a year, and became pregnant on it without knowing it for two months. When I realized I had conceived, the doctors told me I had to terminate my pregnancy or there would be birth defects. My OB agreed, and they scheduled all kind of tests. I didn’t take those tests because I had no intention of ending my pregnancy. I agreed to ultrasound, but thought, “Well, I’m going to accept this as it is. If there is something not quite right, we will accept it lovingly and be ready. I will be positive during this time”
It was not an easy decision considering how much pressure there was from family, friends, and doctors to have an abortion. It seemed I had no support at all, except from my husband, and comfort in prayer.
I have to say I was anxious as I went into labor but had an incredible feeling and resonance of “Thy will be done”.
My son, Gage, given that name because it means ‘promise’, and because I had promised to love him no matter what, was born normal in every way. Not only that, he has grown up to be the most wonderful, gentle, loving young man. Successful in athletics and music, he is truly a gift. Also my fifth child…I was 35 when he came into my life. I love you, Gage, and I want to say to the Tebow’s… I know exactly how you felt! More power to you, and we’ll be watching!

Pat February 1, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I completely understand also. As a 19 year old college student, I became pregnant and went to the women’s health services (Planned Parenthood) to find out if it were for real. As a young woman I was in denial and needed concrete proof.
During their questioning, before even administering the test, they ask if this was a planned pregnancy. Of course, it was not planned, very very few college students plan to get pregnant. From that point on their whole focus was on based on their plan for me to have an abortion. They made me sick. I can still cry when I think about it.
I left there and never returned. I raised a beautiful daughter, married and had another “unplanned” pregnancy. Another beautiful daughter, both of whom are contributing to society and love by everyone who knows them.
God bless mothers who love their children like no one else can.

Tammy February 1, 2010 at 3:01 pm

My story is somewhat different, I have a cousin whose wife was told their child had Down’s Syndrome, a chromosomal abnormality, which can, but doesn’t always, cause mental retardation. They were given the news over the phone and asked to come in for counseling. The counseling consisted of asking when they would be available for an abortion, something they did not consider. They were insistant on having their child and that child, now an adult, does not have Down’s. That child’s child does not have any chromosomal abnormality. In addition, my daughter had a child with Down’s Syndrome AND balanced translocation, another chromosomal abnormality. It is supposed to be rare to have 2 forms. They tested my daughter, who has not had any health or learning problems, and she has the balanced translocation. When I was pregnant with her, the pre-marker test for Down’s came back positive and my dr wanted me to have an amniocentesis, but I declined because I knew I would have the baby regardless and I didn’t want to have the test itself pose a problem. So my point is, I have a very healthy, normal child who has grown up without any problem, despite a positive pre-marker test for Down’s. This makes me wonder how many babies have been aborted based on a chromosomal abnormality like balanced translocation that doesn’t do anything abnormal to the person who has it? These tests may be useful for those who want to know so if the chromosomal abnormality(there are many, many varieties) should pose a problem, they could be prepared to deal with it medically, not use the tests as a clear cut marker for aborting the less than so called perfect fetus. It’s a disgrace to cut off the chance of life because of a possibility of imperfection, as if there is such a thing. And we love our granddaughter with Down’s, she has not displayed any signs of mental retardation, and even if she ever did, we would still believe she has every right to life that any of us has!

M. Joyce Jay February 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I do not have a website, nor a camcorder. However, I strongley support Tebow and his mission. I, myself am a mother of 6 grown children. Our first child had birth defects that ocoured during his delivery. He is a fully functioning, productive citizen, father of three normal children. Our last child was born when I was 41. Today he has a Ph D and is practicing with a large Cancer research center in Dallas, Tx. He is the father of two adorable, perfectly normal children. I am a strong supporter of Pro-Live.

M. Joyce Jay
Abilene, Tx.

Marley February 2, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I became a mother at the age of 16. I have PCOS, so I didn’t find out that I was pregnant until I was 20 weeks. Like others I had a very unpleasant experience at Planned Parenthood.The staff along with my mother tried to put me on the next train literally to Illinois to have an abortion. I was told that IL was one of the only places where I could get a late term abortion. Although I didn’t have the support of my family or my sons father at the time I never ever entertained getting an abortion. It wasn’t easy being a young mom, I had to grow up fast, but my son is the greatest blessing that I’ve ever been given in my life. I call him my miracle baby because he is my only child. I never got pregnant again. It hasn’t been for lack of trying. His father and I will be celebrating our 15th year of marriage soon. Our son is now 20 and is in his second year of school. He’s a good kid. He’s healthy and happy. I know now that everyone of my relatives and friends that tried to push me into abortion were just in shock at the time. They love him with all their hearts. I hope that people will really start to think about the impact of their decisions and remember that God never gives you more than you can handle.

Jackie February 3, 2010 at 1:53 am

Pro Life
Jackie Moore -February 3rd, 2010
I do not understand how someone can be so quick to discard something as precious as a human life, regardless of the circumstance.. and yes, I have thought about all the different scenario’s and believe with all my heart that God will never give me more than I can handle.. Somehow I have managed to live through some tough experiences and I now know that I was never alone.. God was carrying me! I am the mother of a PERFECTLY healthy, 5 ft 6 inches, 124 lbs daughter who will be 11 years old on Friday, Feb 5th!! The young Red haired “Tween” as she calls herself, is my daughter Teagan! The lives that this child has touched and changed in her almost 11 years is astounding. I was 19 years old when I found out that I was pregnant with her and from the start the odds were against me. When I was 6 months pregnant the OB GYN at a high risk pregnancy office in Downtown Orlando, discovered that I had too much amniotic fluid. They performed a sonogram and noted that my daughter had what they referred to as “A Double Bubble Syndrome” (that’s what they call it when the baby’s stomach is shaped in a figure eight “8″ instead of the oval “0″ shape its supposed to look like..) These doctors told me that my daughter had Downs Syndrome and that I should have an abortion as I was too young to be able to raise a child with this disability. Following the look of utter disgust on my face, came the words: ” I don’t care what condition she is born with, she is my baby and I will deal with whatever I have to and I will LOVE her no matter what! I refuse to listen to your advise and will face this on my own if I have to, what are my real options” At this point their telling me to Abort was based SOLELY on a sonogram, not even a Amniocentesis had been performed to rule out genetic defects!! Needless to say, this was the first doctors appointment during my 6 months of pregnancy that I went to alone, looking back now, I can see where the enemy took all his cheap shots! Come to find out weeks later, that she had Duodenal Atresia – A blockage/ small film of tissue over the valve in her stomach, which caused a blockage, which made her stomach look like a figure 8, which they said they could fix after she was born. I was 7 months pregnant when Teagan went into distress and after 24 hrs of fetal monitoring and giving me as much steroids as they could to help develop her tiny heart and lungs, Teagan waited for the doctor to come in and perform another sonogram (during the 24 hrs they performed a sonogram every 2 hours to check on her) Teagan waited until the doctor and nurse sat down, put the wand on my belly and decided that the steroids they were giving me had worked. Their words were barely spoken and her little heart slowed down, barely beating. She was born via an Emergency C-Section, less than 10 minutes later. Teagan was born at 30 weeks, she was 19.5 inches long, 4 lbs 5 ounces. Teagan had her stomach surgery when she was 3 days old, I spent day and night at her side for the following 2 months that she had to stay in the NICU ( Neonatal Intensive Care) They said due to her being so premature, she would never “catch up” to children her age, they said she would be below average in size, development, IQ etc.. I said that she would be just fine and we went home. By the time Teagan was 4 MONTHS old, my new doctor said that Teagan was above average and that she would never have guessed that Teagan had such a rough start. Satan must have forgotten whose child I am. He must have overlooked my very Pro Life family and he must have forgotten that he was up against GOD and that no matter what, God would win. I’d like to say that was the last time that Satan tried to destroy my/ our lives, but he keeps trying and he just doesn’t seem to get the fact that my God is Much Bigger and STRONGER! My God even died for me! I wish that I could help, encourage & support other young girls & young woman who are faced with similar situations.. young woman that are about to abort their baby because a doctor told them too, or their family is disowning them because they are pregnant or because they think they are alone and do not have a choice. If anybody knows of someone that I could help, please let me know. I would love to have the opportunity to raise awareness, to help save a baby’s life. I’m ready to be used for God’s glory! I apologize for the very long post, I do not know the person that sent me the link to the “Tebow Super Bowl AD” or why I clicked on the link, I really don’t like football and would have usually just deleted anything related to football.. but something inside me.. God wants the person who is out there feeling alone and scared, struggling with a very important decision..the person who is reading this post.. YOU need to KNOW that All things are possible with God.
If you would like to reach me, my email address is: jacquee78@aol.com

Jake February 3, 2010 at 7:03 am

Video submission:

I work at an orphanage for abandoned kids in Brazil and the kids here sometimes tell me that they wish they had been born in America. I considered it for a moment and realized that had they been conceived in America they probably would not have made it past the first trimester. In Brazil, on the other hand abortion on demand is against the law…

Jake
teaters.com

Vicki Slayton February 3, 2010 at 9:21 pm

15 years ago I had my OBGYN tell me because of my advanced maternal age, that my baby could be born with downs syndrome. I told him that abortion was not an option, no matter what was wrong with the baby, it was God’s will. Thank goodness we are Christians and believe what the bible says “Thou shalt not kill.” Abortion is murder. God blessed us with a very healthy baby boy who is now 14 years old.

Debbie February 5, 2010 at 1:26 am

I just wanted to add to my previous post, the first one here.
I wanted to say that my son, Gage, knows how special I think he is. He knows he might not be here had I listened to doctors long ago, and we have joined prayer vigils outside Planned Parenthood with the friars when we went by and noticed what was going on. I explained to Gage what they were doing out there, and he wanted to walk with them as a witness to what could be for anyone seeking an abortion. He is also aware that all stories don’t turn out like his… he has a special affection for classmates who have special needs, often sitting with them at lunch, just letting them know they have a friend. While Gage is a typical 17 year old, his heart is good and gentle. He absolutely loves children and they are drawn to him like a magnet! HE says he hopes he will be a great father, and something tells me he will be.
We have discussed the reactions to the Tebow ad and even Gage said he doesn’t know what all the fuss is about. If these women’s groups were truly pro-CHOICE, why do they get upset when someone chooses life? Is’nt that one of the choices? I’ve always that , as a woman, I was exercizing all my rights in having a full family, working full time, and happy to get equal pay for equal work. When faced with the possibility of having a less than perfect child and choosing to keep him, I knew it would cause a few raised eyebrows, but I never expected the intense pressure from all those who chided me for having a baby that could have birth defects or even worse. They all seemed to be saying the same thing….why bring a child like that into the world? You trying to be a hero of something? They just didn’t understand the love inside me for my child. I still remember some of the cruel things some people said, and that’s what I see happening now with the pro-abortion groups mounting pressure against CBS to stop the Tebow ad. Thank God they didn’t give up!
I think it allows us as a nation to talk about this in reasonable terms again. The ‘other’ choice. Being pro-choice shouldn’t mean that you advocate for abortion only…. choice is between two outcomes, and in this case, it’s the choice for life. That anyone would get up in arms over that only betrays what they really think… they would rather have women choose abortion. In Planned Parenthood’s case it’s for profit.
Good for the Tebow’s

Adam February 5, 2010 at 1:47 pm

As an adopted individual I am thankful everyday for the decision my birth mother made in giving me life and in knowing there were loving people more than able, happy and determined to help me understand the incredible gift I was given. I don’t know you, but I thank you for thinking of life.

Thanks birth mom!

Jake February 11, 2010 at 7:31 am

When will the chosen videos be posted?