Letter to President Obama

PDFJuly 21, 2009

The Honorable Barack Obama
President of the United States
1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20500-0004

Dear Mr. President:

I am writing today on behalf of Americans United for Life Action to request a meeting with you to discuss our deep concerns over the major health-care reform proposals moving through the United States Congress. Abortion is not health care and does not belong in health-care reform. We will oppose any bill that (1) fails to explicitly exclude both abortion funding and mandatory abortion coverage, and (2) fails to protect the rights of conscience for all Americans.

Both H.R. 3200 and the Senate HELP Committee “Affordable Health Choices Act” would delegate to bureaucratic committees the role of determining the minimum benefits that any private or public healthcare plan must offer. Courts have broadly interpreted the “mandatory categories of care” within Medicaid – such as “family planning,” “outpatient services,” “inpatient services,” and “physician services” — to include abortion. Therefore, there is little doubt that courts will also include abortion within such categories in any healthcare reform bill unless abortion is expressly excluded. Your White House Office of Management and Budget Director Peter Orszag stated on July 19, 2009 that he was “not prepared to rule [taxpayer-funded abortion] out.” Furthermore, amendments that would have ensured that abortion was not included have been defeated in Congressional committees in the past week, buttressing our belief that the bills are intended to include abortion.

Additionally, any health-care reform bill that moves forward must expressly protect the rights of conscience for all Americans, whether or not they are health-care providers. No health-care provider should under any circumstances be forced to participate in abortion or subjected to discrimination for choosing not to perform abortions. Furthermore, no private insurer should under any circumstances be forced to pay for abortion. Nor should the American taxpayer who is conscientiously opposed to the killing of unborn life be forced to fund abortions.

The majority of Americans are pro-life, and over 70% oppose taxpayer-funded abortion. While Americans face economic uncertainty on a daily basis, it is unconscionable to force them to pay for abortion under the guise of health care. We respectfully ask to meet with you to discuss these concerns.

Sincerely,

Charmaine Yoest, Ph.D.
President & CEO
Americans United for Life Action

{ 1 trackback }

President Obama’s “New” Health Care Reform Proposal”
February 22, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Elena July 22, 2009 at 9:40 am

All the way behind you on this issue… with the rest of the 70% of Americans. Thank you for doing what you do.

Pat July 27, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Thank you for helping me to get the information on Facebook, it’s easy when you have the Facebook link. I posted about 7 anti-abortion articles today.

God Bless you all

Edward Manzano July 27, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Dear Ms. Yoest,

Your comments to Pres. Obama echo my sentiments exactly. I am completely behind you concerning this issue. Pres. Obama and the Democratic Party must be stopped from implementing this draconian “Health-Care Reform Bill.”
The inhumane and barbaric practice of Abortion and, in particular, Partial Birth Abortion must be stopped. Human life begins at Conception. It’s not a carrot growing in the womb, it is a HUMAN BEING!!

Rachael July 27, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Thank you so much for standing up on the level that you are able to for all of those that can’t. I have trouble understanding why it’s even come to the point it has in the government when it’s clearly written that every American is guaranteed the rights of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. How does a person’s right to anything come above a child’s right to life?

Celia July 28, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Please know how oppossed to the inclusion of money for Planned Parenthood in the health care bill. Celia Stoneking.

Zonya Ledyard September 16, 2009 at 8:34 pm

I agree. thank you all for you work.

Linda Lindemann September 16, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Dear President Obama,
First, you took over the Banks, then the Auto Industry and now you want to control our Health Care. When I went to the doctors I was told if this health care plan goes through then the doctors will not take Medicare. To rationing of serior and giving free health care for illegal, free abortion. This bill will also force private health care out of business. Employers will also cut benefits. I do not want congress to review my health for approvals, nor do I want to tell them if I have a WILL or TRUST. Government needs to mind there own business. They are doing a BAD job already. Stop the spending of money.

claire and patrick bonner September 16, 2009 at 9:11 pm

we are totally opposed to any legislation which will fund abortion. the fetus is a human like not some word to soften the reality of what takes place when someone has an abortion! It is a murder. Claire and Patrick Bonner

Sue Ryder September 17, 2009 at 6:43 am

I toldly agree that we need to stop killing are children. Thank-you for writting this letter.

Paulette Goodnight September 17, 2009 at 6:44 am

As a Christian, I am totally against abortion due to the fact that life is a blessing given to us by God. The word of God specifically states that God “knew us when we were in the womb and that we are fearfully and wonderfully made”. Again, please do not fund abortions! There are millions of women still suffering from making decisions to abort their child.

Stephanie Megois September 17, 2009 at 7:51 am

Charmaine,
You are an outstanding individual. I want to thank you for leading the charge in defending the rights of the unborn! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
President Obama stop the lies!
Stephanie Megois

Susan Stafford September 17, 2009 at 8:08 am

We have all this ablility to prevent pregnancy. Why don’t we send more time on educating girl and women about these products instead of just letting them feel like there is a quick fix if you don’t want your baby that you have because you were not responsible. I do feel like there are reason to have abortions if it is dangerous for the mother, she has been raped, or her father/brother/uncle abused her, etc.

Elizabeth Hellenga September 17, 2009 at 8:18 am

Amen! I am firmly stand behind taxpayer-funded abortion. The killing of babies needs to be stopped, not supported and encouraged!

Roma Gould September 17, 2009 at 9:48 am

Thank you for standing in the gap and facing those in the White House. I wholeheartedly support you. I agree with the fact the killing of babies need to be stopped, & not supported and encouraged. Those in authority are not listening to the American people and what they want they are speaking for themselves and forgetting who put them in the office they hold. We have to stop them.

Janet Underwood September 17, 2009 at 10:01 am

You are in my prayers today!

ROBERT & GEORGIA WELLMAN September 17, 2009 at 10:53 am

AGREED……..

Duc Pham September 17, 2009 at 3:51 pm

AGREED

lucy September 17, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Dear Mr. President
All life is precious and we need to protect all life from conception to a natural death, this is the way God’s want us to treat his precious children at all stages of life. We will all answer to God. Amen

Peggy Worley September 19, 2009 at 2:44 pm

If you think it’s not a baby yet, do you think maybe God intended it to be one?

Suzanne September 23, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Dear Ms. Yoest,

Thank you for the magnificent work you do on behalf of the unborn and the weak. You speak for many who cannot speak for themselves. You are to be commended.

Dear President Obama,

It is clear that you wish to have abortion federally funded. 70% of us DO NOT want our money spent in that way. And speaking of money, please stop the spending frenzy already. We have all tightened our belts….why can’t you?

Dear Elected Representatives in Washington,

Do you know you were elected to REPRESENT the people of this country?????

Suzanne

Rogelio S. Cafe January 31, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Dear Mr.President
i’m from the phillipines,i have some question Mr.President regarding from my father whom become one of your WWII veterans.he past away 12 years ago and my concern was is he has a previledge,benefits about the one time compensation fund?even though he go back to her native country without knowing.permision to the U.S veterans affaire that he wil leave your country for a while.one thing Mr.President regarding to my status as a petition,do i have a chance to re-apply my petition even the petitioner was already dead (Primitivo Cafe) my father?more power and good health Mr.President..

sincerely

Rogelio S. Cafe

Meme February 23, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I believe the President will say exactly what he has spouted this whole year, that being,”Abortion is not in this bill. It is not there.You cannot show me where it is in this bill because it is not there. that is a false accusation.”
He will say the same thing about the so called, “End of life issue.” He will say there is not one word of that in the bill.
He will say that these are ’scare tactics’ the Republicans are saying trying to scare people into believing the bill is bad.
This farce of a supposedly bipartisan meeting is just a white elephant sale trying to sell his bill of goods.
I would almost say with complete confidence he did not “invite any of the strong standing Republicans to be at the meeting” He will pick the easy over ones like the one who took the .”La purchase to the tune of 300 mil $$$” and the ones from the other 4 or 5 states that they bribed in order to get their vote.
What the President means when he says he is open to Republican ideas is, “Well Mr Pres. I support your bill.” He does not want discussion because he always prefaces his remarks with ” any meaningful dialog that we want in the healthcare bill not more scare tactics and false or misunderstood rheteric”. In other words he wants a few weak lily livered Republicans to take a bribe and say I support your bill Mr President.
That is the only way he can get any bipartisan votes.
He only wants this meeting so he can point to every Republican question if he allows one to ask, and smugly say to the camera. “See what I have told you all along?
It is the same old party of no.
Well I hope they ask him when did the Dems or even the President himself even try to look into the many suggestions the Republican party tried to present? When they wer e meeting in closed and locked doors? Or oh no, that must have been when theu Republicans tried to be in a meeting and all the Dems got up and tried to sneak out a back door! but they got caught. So the Republicans were there to work on it but where were the Dems??? Hiding out somewhere scared to come face to face with a little opposition.
And Mr Pres, why haven’t you tried to include the Republicans in some of your meetings? You have had time to meet with the Labor relations guy numerous times, and SEIU has had your hand and ear almost every day, and you made a big deal out of showing off your 30 or so unionized Drs but nary a peep from you with other Drs who disagree with you. And on and on it goes.
Thank GOD we odinary people have people like AUL Action people to pull stuff together and show us the truth in all these shenanigans.

Gasper Giarratano February 24, 2010 at 4:50 pm

President Oboma
taking a life is a crime whether it in the womb or out of it. We have come to a juncture in our
history where we have left our foudations our regard for life. We speak of womens rights under
a guise of lies used by the Communists. Blessings to the AUL for your work.
Gasper Giarratano

Gct February 27, 2010 at 1:33 pm

To they who put a lesser right ahead of a greater right, by saying it is a womans right to control her own body and fate, I say; How many of those aborted babies were women ? Half ? My wife had 2 boys who I love very much, but I would have given nearly anything to also have a baby girl. If you say, “What about rape, or life endangerment”, then fine, take it if you must – but thats only 1 percent – give me the other ninty nine alive. But you would rather kill them all because of the one that is a danger, or shouldn’t be there.

Population control.

Who was it that said, “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me”.

And, what make you think that your lives are worth more in the eyes of God than any one of the least of these ?
Perhaps one of them might have cured some disease that you’ll get.

So, you don’t believe in God, or believe that ‘fetus’ is alive – no problem, you dont have to – but then, God doesnt have to believe that you’re alive either.

You can certainly believe in one thing though, you’re own death. It – like God – doesn’t have to come to you – you are invariably heading towards it. Not a soul on earth can hide from it. And you will invariably face whatever it is thats on the other side of this life. Maybe that doesn’t scare you – now. But, will denial work then ? Do you know ?

Maybe, God wont condemn you at all. Maybe he’ll just say, ‘All you have to do to get in, is get past them, over there. They’ve been here for a while – long before you – and they’re waiting for you – a few billion of them. They say they cant hear you, or see you, and dont believe you’re alive. What do I say ? I’ve grown quite fond of them over the years. But you, I’ve never seen around here before. I’d help you out, but then, you don’t really believe in my forgiveness, so . . . Go to it kiddo, see if you can convince them when you tell em why you did it – because you thought your lives were worth soooo much more than their’s. Because you just couldn’t stand to have someone walk across your lawn and leave footprints all over your grass – so you shot em dead. And now, your grass is red – and their grace is dead.”

How do any of you know for sure, that it wont be exactly like that ?

It would make a cool movie, though.